Dr. Richard Safeer is the Chief Medical Director of Employee Health and Well-Being @ Johns Hopkins Medicine. He works to help leaders understand how to build cultures of health in their own organizations. He holds faculty appointments in both the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Bloomberg School of Public Health. His book, A Cure for the Common Company: A Well-Being Prescription for a Happier, Healthier, and More Resilient Workforce outlines a process companies and leaders can use to improve health across their own organizations.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- A Cure for the Common Company by Richard Safeer – https://www.amazon.com/Cure-Common-Company-Well-Being-Prescription/dp/1119899966
- Ten Minute Well Being Tips For Managers – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v8Jd-x-c4
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink – https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-S-Navy-SEALs-ebook/dp/B0739PYQSS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=extreme+ownership&qid=1680479372&s=books&sprefix=extreme%2Cstripbooks%2C102&sr=1-1
- Breathe by James Nestor – https://www.amazon.com/Breath-New-Science-Lost-Art-ebook/dp/B0818ZZNLR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=breath+james+nestor&qid=1680479398&s=books&sprefix=breath+jame%2Cstripbooks%2C94&sr=1-1
- Culture: It’s the Smell of the Place – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgrD7yJwxAM
(1:44) – Introducing Dr. Safeer.
(3:05) – What does it mean for an individual to be healthy?
(4:19) – What does it mean for an organization to be healthy?
(5:37) – Is it an employer’s responsibility to cultivate a healthy company?
(7:02) – What do you mean by taking a cultural approach?
(8:12) – What is a subculture?
(13:17) – How does this relate to subcultures?
(14:20) – What makes a positive or a negative subculture?
(16:07) – Where does one start when trying to influence subcultures?
(18:35) – What are the types of things I should be looking for in healthy or unhealthy subcultures?
(25:31) – What is 4-7-8 breathing?
(28:15) – What role does mental health play here?
(31:27) – How important is ‘connection’ in relation to health and what does it look like in healthy organizations?
(34:07) – Is socialization at work driven mostly by extroverted leaders?
(37:21) – How should a leader approach changes that are needed?
(42:31) – How do we start moving culture in a healthy direction?