Megan Lally is the CEO at Highdive, an award-winning advertising firm working with clients like Jeep, Rocket Mortgage, State Farm, Donate Life America, Allstate, and Fifth Third Bank. She was recognized in AdAge’s “40 Under 40” list. In this conversation, she shares how Highdive creates better work by focusing on the relationships employees have with each other and with their clients.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- High Dive: https://highdiveus.com/
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni: https://www.amazon.com/Five-Dysfunctions-Team-Leadership-Fable/dp/0787960756
- Brene Brown on Vulnerability (TED Talk): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o
- The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson: https://www.amazon.com/Medici-Effect-Preface-Discussion-Guide/dp/1633692949
- Frans Johansson on People Business: https://peoplebusinesspodcast.com/fransjohannson/
(2:20) – Welcoming Megan
(2:52) – What is High Dive and how did it come to be?
(4:47) – What makes a good relationship?
(6:57) – What were the conversations like among the six people who founded High Dive at the beginning?
(9:05) – Do you have any stories about how you came up with your mission and values?
(14:04) – How do you work through disagreements?
(17:41) – What do you do when someone behaves in a way that is detrimental to the relationship?
(19:48) – Do you coach your people on how to have difficult conversations?
(27:46) – How do you balance collaboration with clients and being the experts in the room?
(38:13) – What is the process for onboarding new employees into your culture?
(43:40) – What have you learned about continuing in a hybrid environment?
(47:17) – What’s been the employees’ reaction to keeping work and vacation separate?
(54:54) – What tips do you have that lead to better creative outcomes?