Dr. Meghaan Lurtz is a Professor at Kansas State University where she teaches courses for the Advanced Financial Planning Certificate Program, a lecturer at Columbia University where she teaches Financial Psychology, an undergraduate adjunct professor through the University of Maryland system in their CFP program, and a writer and Senior Research Associate with Kitces.com, a financial planning blog. She is also a past president of the Financial Therapy Association.
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Kitces: https://www.kitces.com/
- Change Your Questions Change Your Life (book): https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Questions-Life-4th/dp/1523091037
- Financial Therapy Association: https://financialtherapyassociation.org/
- Find out more about Certified Financial Planners: https://www.cfp.net/
- Mind Over Money by Dr. Brad Klontz: https://www.amazon.com/Mind-over-Money-Overcoming-Disorders-ebook/dp/B002WA4O9E
- Other books by Dr. Brad Klontz: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Brad-Klontz/author/B001KHI4BO
- Brene Brown (author): https://brenebrown.com/
- Changing To Thrive (book): https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Thrive-Overcome-Threats-Happiness/dp/1616496290
- The Good Life (book): https://www.amazon.com/Good-Life-Lessons-Scientific-Happiness/dp/198216669X
(2:09) – Welcoming Meghaan.
(2:29) – What is the Financial Therapy Association?
(5:05) – Where are we in the spectrum of how we think about money?
(13:14) – Why are we so bad with money?
(19:40) – Who do we call when we have psychological money questions?
(23:27) – Is there a right mindset for money?
(26:36) – How do we start to identify our own issues with money?
(38:34) – Do you have recommendations to help people with shame around money?
(45:12) – What are some tips you can offer to get on the path and stay on the path to dealing with money shame?
(53:58) – What are you sick of talking about?
(55:28) – What are you most excited to talk about?
(58:46) – What is the purpose of money?